Date and place
- April 12th, 1796 at Montenotte, Liguria (nowadays Province of Savona, Italy).
- French army (14,000 men) under General Napoleon Bonaparte.
- Kingdom of Sardinia and Austrian armies (25,000 men) under Count Eugene-Guillaume Argenteau and General Johann von Beaulieu.
Casualties and losses
- French army: about 800 killed, injured or missing.
- Kingdom of Sardinia and Austrian armies: approximately 2,500 dead, wounded, missing or prisonners, 12 cannons.
Map of the of battle of Montenotte
Picture - "Generals Massena and Laharpe looking at the battle from Montenotte heights". Painted by Giuseppe Pietro Bagetti (after J. Parent).
Panoramic of the battlefield of Montenotte
The battlefield of Montenotte, where General Napoleon Bonaparte defeated the combined armies of Austria and of the Kingdom of Sardinia-Piedmont during the First Campaign of Italy, on April 12, 1796.
Aerial panoramas of Montenotte, Millesimo, Cosseria and Dego battlefields
Photos CreditsPhotos by Lionel A. Bouchon.
Photos by Marie-Albe Grau.
Photos by Floriane Grau.
Photos by Michèle Grau-Ghelardi.
Photos by Didier Grau.
Photos made by people outside the Napoleon & Empire association.