Date and place
- November 15th to 17th, 1796 at the Arcole bridge upon Alpone river, near Adige river, twenty-eight kilometers southwest of Verona, Italy.
- French army (19,000 to 22,000 men) under General Napoleon Bonaparte.
- Austrian army (21,000 to 24,000 men) under Baron Josef Alvinczy von Borberek.
Casualties and losses
- French army: 4,000 to 6,000 men dead, injured, missing or prisoners.
- Austrian army: 5,000 to 8,000 men killed, wounded, missing or prisoners, 11 cannons.
Aerial panoramic of the battlefield and the Arcole bridge
Map of the of battle of Arcole
Picture - "Battle of Arcole bridge". Painted 1803 by Louis-Albert-Ghislain Bacler d'Albe.
Panorama of Arcole battlefield
The battlefield, seen from the Austrian side: the village of Arcole; then pan to the path from the village to the bridge; the towpath of the Alpone river; the bridge that the French, coming from the opposite bank, crossed. In the background: the obelisk erected in 1810.
Photos CreditsPhotos by Lionel A. Bouchon.
Photos by Marie-Albe Grau.
Photos by Floriane Grau.
Photos by Michèle Grau-Ghelardi.
Photos by Didier Grau.
Photos made by people outside the Napoleon & Empire association.