Date and place
- May 21st and 22nd, 1809 at Lobau, a swampy area near Vienna, Austria.
- French army (90,000 men) under Emperor Napoleon the First.
- Austrian army (75,000 men) under Archduke Charles of Austria, Duke of Teschen.
Casualties and losses
- French army: about 6,000 killed, including Marshall Jean Lannes, 20,000 injured or prisoners.
- Austrian army: over 24,000 men out of combat (killed, injured, prisoners).
Picture - "Napoleon returning to Lobau Island after the Battle of Essling". Painted 1812 by Charles Meynier.
Photos CreditsPhotos by Lionel A. Bouchon.
Photos by Marie-Albe Grau.
Photos by Floriane Grau.
Photos by Michèle Grau-Ghelardi.
Photos by Didier Grau.
Photos made by people outside the Napoleon & Empire association.