Date and place
- April 22nd, 1809 at Eckmühl or Eggmühl, fifty kilometers north of Munich, Bavaria.
- French army (35,000 men) under Marshal Davout then 100,000 men under Emperor Napoleon the First.
- Austrian army (80,000 men) under Archduke Charles of Austria, Duke of Teschen.
Casualties and losses
- French army: 3,500 to 8,000 killed or wounded, according to the sources.
- Austrian army: 6,000 to 12,000 killed or wounded, more than 4,000 prisoners.
Map of the of battle of Eckmühl - Positions before the battle
Map of the of battle of Eckmühl - Positions after the battle
Picture - "Battle of Eckmühl, April 22nd, 1809 at 06:00 PM". Watercolor painting by Giuseppe Pietro Bagetti.
Discover the battlefield of Eckmühl from the sky on Google Maps (External link opening new window)
Display the map of the situation after the battle
Photos CreditsPhotos by Lionel A. Bouchon.
Photos by Marie-Albe Grau.
Photos by Floriane Grau.
Photos by Michèle Grau-Ghelardi.
Photos by Didier Grau.
Photos made by people outside the Napoleon & Empire association.