Date and place
- November 27th and 28th, 1812 near the Berezina river (now Belarus).
- French army (49,000 men fighting and 40,000 late) under Emperor Napoleon the First.
- Russian army under Tzar Alexander the First, Generals Mikhail Illarionovich Golenishchev-Kutuzov and Peter Wittgenstein, and Admiral Pavel Vasilievich Chichagov.
Casualties and losses
- Grande Armée: 30,000 to 45,000 men (Most of them have not been direct victims of the fighting or even have not participated).
- Russian Army: more than 10,000 soldiers.
Map of the of battle of Berezina
Picture - "Przejscie wojsk Napoleona przez Berezyne - Napoleon crossing the Berezina river". Painted 1866 by January Suchodolski.
Photos CreditsPhotos by Lionel A. Bouchon.
Photos by Marie-Albe Grau.
Photos by Floriane Grau.
Photos by Michèle Grau-Ghelardi.
Photos by Didier Grau.
Photos made by people outside the Napoleon & Empire association.