Date and place
- November 30th, 1808 at Somosierra canyon, in the Sierra Guadarrama, north of Madrid, Spain.
- French army (45,000 men), including Polish cavalry from the Duchy of Warsaw, under Emperor Napoleon the First.
- Spanish army (13,000 men) under General Benito de San Juan.
Casualties and losses
- French army: fifty seven Polish killed or injured (out of one hundred and fifty who took part in the cavalry charge).
- Spanish army: from 200 tp 2,000 killing according to different sources, 16 cannons, 10 flags.
Aerial panorama of Somosierra battlefield
Map of the of battle of Somosierra
Picture - "Battle of Somosierra". Painted 1810 by Louis-François Lejeune.
Photos CreditsPhotos by Lionel A. Bouchon.
Photos by Marie-Albe Grau.
Photos by Floriane Grau.
Photos by Michèle Grau-Ghelardi.
Photos by Didier Grau.
Photos made by people outside the Napoleon & Empire association.