Date and place
- August 5th, 1796 at Castiglione delle Stiviere, Lombardy (nowadays Province of Mantua, Italy).
- French army (35,000 men) under General Napoleon Bonaparte.
- Austrian army (18,000 to 25,000 men) under Generals Peter Quasdanovich and Dagobert Sigmund von Wurmser.
Casualties and losses
- French Army;: 1,100 to 1,500 men (killed or injured).
- Austrian Army: 21,000 men (killed, injured, prisoners), 20 pieces of artillery.
Aerial panoramas of the battlefield of Castiglione: views from the village of Grole and Monte Medolano
Map of the of battle of Castiglione
Picture - "Battle of Castiglione". Painted 1836 by Victor Adam.
Views of Castiglione battlefield
Photos CreditsPhotos by Lionel A. Bouchon.
Photos by Marie-Albe Grau.
Photos by Floriane Grau.
Photos by Michèle Grau-Ghelardi.
Photos by Didier Grau.
Photos made by people outside the Napoleon & Empire association.