N & E
Napoléon & Empire

Battlefields of the Napoleonic wars

You are here: Napoleon & Empire > War >

Photographing battlefields of the Napoleonic era, two centuries later, is not easy because they evolved as the landscapes of the countryside but also as our cities...

Parade near the Lion's Mound at Waterloo
Parade near the Lion's Mound at Waterloo
 Enlarge

Some have remained in a state close to that fighters roamed at the time: either because they have been protected (Waterloo) or because their rurality has avoided them, for now, a too visible transformation (Marengo, Austerlitz, Eckmühl, Champaubert, Friedland...). Of course, some electrical or telephone poles and wires, some antennas or satellite dishes, some cars or tractors, some advertisement billboards were added to those places (one must move with the times, even in the countryside); but the photo retouching softwares can often remove them, so we can see before us a state close to that as valiant veterans, and the Emperor himself, saw.

But alas it is not of same everywhere. Cities, especially, have been greatly transformed, sometimes even in their historical center. Some quintupled or tenfold of size (Alessandria, Mantua, Vienna and its surroundings, Vitoria, Laon, Montereau ...), others were disfigured during subsequent conflicts (Reims during World War I, Ulm during World War II). Housing estates have flourished even in the countryside (Wagram, Vauchamps); when this is not one of those awful commercial areas, over several dozen acres, that has settled over much of the battlefield (La Favorita near Mantua, Mont-St-Pierre at Tinqueux near Reims). Then, a church, a few walls, a piece of land are all that remains to be seen... for how long?

We have not visited all the Napoleonic battlefields, far from it. Our next years will be devoted to enriching the iconography. Then some younger persons will take over from us, we hope so, to complete this work. Because images never die.

Enjoy your visit!

© 2012-2014 Didier Grau

France ARCIS-SUR-AUBE (20 and 21 March 1814)

GPS coordinates of the church of Arcis: 48.53667 N, 4.14197 E (External link, opens in a new window)

  1. Arcis-sur-Aube: the church, downtown  
  2. Arcis-sur-Aube: the castle     [today the City Hall]
  3. Arcis-sur-Aube: the bridge over the river Aube    
  4. The river Aube  
  5. The battlefield, south of Arcis, towards Villette  
  6. Dommartin  
  7. Méry-sur-Seine  
  8. Mesnil-la-Comtesse: the village   and its surroundings  
  9. Nozay  
  10. Plancy-l'Abbaye  
  11. Torcy-le-Grand  
  12. Villette  
© 2012-2013 Didier Grau

Italy ARCOLE (15 to 17 November 1796)

GPS coordinates of the bridge: 45.35728 N, 11.27773 E (External link, opens in a new window)

  1. Arcole: eastern bank of the river Alpone  
  2. Arcole: the bridge, seen from the eastern bank   and from the western bank  
  3. Arcole: obelisk erected in 1810 at the outlet of the bridge    
  4. Villafranca di Verona: Napoléon Bonaparte's headquarters the evening before the battle  
  5. Ronco all'Adige: Napoléon Bonaparte's headquarters during the battle and the following day  
© 2014 Didier Grau unless otherwise stated

Czech Republic AUSTERLITZ (2 December 1805)

GPS coordinates of the best viewpoint of the "Soleil d'Austerlitz": 49.12917 N, 16.73428 E (External link, opens in a new window)

  1. Aujest [Újezd u Brna]: downtown  , the St-Antony chapel   and the surrounding fields  
  2. Austerlitz [Slavkov u Brna]: the castle, Napoléon's headquarters after the battle    
  3. Austerlitz [Slavkov u Brna]: the St-Urban chapel  , French look-out before the battle
  4. Birnbaum [Hrušky u Brna]: the village  
  5. Birnbaum [Hrušky u Brna]: the swamps  
  6. Birnbaum [Hrušky u Brna]: the battlefield    
  7. Blasowitz [Blažovice]: the village  
  8. Bosenitz [Tvarožná]: the church  
  9. Bosenitz [Tvarožná]: the Santon hill    , its chapel   and the General Valhubert memorial monument, in front of the hill  
  10. The Goldbach creek    , which runs through the battlefield, west of the Pratzen Heights
  11. Holubitz [Holubice] : the village  , its church   and the monument to Joachim Murat   with a medallion bearing his image  
  12. Horka: Napoléon's headquarters the day before the battle    
  13. Hostieradek [Hosterádky-Rešov]: the village  
  14. Jirschikowitz [Jirikovice]: the main street  
  15. Kobelnitz [Kobylnice u Brna]: a farm within the village  
  16. Kruh: the hamlet  
  17. Krzenowitz [Krenovice]: the village   and the St-Lawrence church  
  18. Krzenowitz [Krenovice]: former Spacil farm, which hosted Kutuzov's headquarters     and the statue of Kutuzov downtown  
  19. Krzenowitz [Krenovice]: a french cannon, a relic of the battle    
  20. Krzenowitz [Krenovice]: the battlefield    
  21. Krzenowitz [Krenovice]: place called "The Three Emperors" : memorial monument   and panorama   from this point
  22. Krzenowitz [Krenovice]: place called "The Kutuzov Cross" : the roman cross   and panorama   from this location
  23. The Littawa river    , east of the battlefield, which fed the ponds of Satschann
  24. Marxdorf or Maxdorf [Dvorska]: the village  
  25. Menitz [Menín]: the church  
  26. Posoritz: the village   and its church  
  27. Pratzen [Prace]: the village  , the Holy-Cross church   and a field nearby  
  28. Pratzen [Prace]: the Pratzen Heights       and the Peace Monument which was erected upon them   (© 2014 Michèle Grau-Ghelardi)
  29. Pratzen [Prace]: sunrise (the famous "Soleil d'Austerlitz") over the Pratzen Heights            
  30. Puntowitz [Ponetovice]: the main street  
  31. The convent of Raygern   near which stood Davout the day before the battle
  32. The Roketnice creek  , near Puntowitz
  33. Satschann [Zatcany]: the church of the village   and the famous ponds  , now dried up and cultivated
  34. Scharatitz [Šaratice]: the village  , the church  , and the battlefield  
  35. Schlapanitz [Šlapanice]: Marshal Soult's headquarters   and the monument to Jean-Dominique Larrey  
  36. Sokolnitz [Sokolnice]: the former granary  
  37. Sokolnitz [Sokolnice]: the castle   and the place where french artilery stood   over its Eastern walls
  38. Surroundings of Sokolnitz [Sokolnice]: the battlefield at dawn      
  39. Spaleny Mlyn (Burned Mill) at Januv Dvur   where Napoleon and Emperor Francis II met on December 4, under a linden     to discuss peace
  40. Stará Posta      , a posthouse near Posoritz
  41. Stare Vinohrady  , a hill where General Rapp presented to Napoleon the flags taken from the enemy
  42. Telnitz [Telnice]: the village  
  43. Telnitz [Telnice]: ponds between Telnitz and Menitz    
  44. Turas [Brno-Turany]: the church  
  45. Walspitz or Welspitz [Velešovice]: the village  
  46. Waschan [Vážany nad Litavou]: the village   and the battlefield    
  47. Zbeischow or Sbischow [Zbýšov u Slavkova] : the village    
  48. The Zuran mound    , from which Napoleon harangued his troops in the evening of December 1st (memorial monument  ) then led the battle the following day until noon
  49. The Zuran mound : the wonderful panorama         one can see from this strategic location
© 2012-2013 Didier Grau

Italy BORGHETTO (30 May 1796)

GPS coordinates of the strada Viscontea: 45.35488 N, 10.72505 E (External link, opens in a new window)

  1. Borghetto: the strada Viscontea     that spans the Mincio river
  2. Borghetto: the edges of the Mincio river  
  3. Mantua, seen from San Giorgio bridge over the Mincio river  
  4. Valeggio sul Mincio : the castle    
  5. Valeggio sul Mincio : headquarters of General Napoléon Bonaparte  
© 2012-2014 Didier Grau

France BRIENNE (29 January 1814)

GPS coordinates of the gate of the castle [nowadays a psychiatric hospital]: 48.39318 N, 4.52388 E (External link, opens in a new window)

  1. Brienne-le-Château: downtown  
  2. The castle of Brienne: day   and night  
  3. The battlefield:    
  4. Brienne-la-Vieille: the village  
  5. Maizières-lès-Brienne: the church   and the rectory  , where Napoléon spent the night following the battle
  6. Rances: the church  
© 2012 Didier Grau

Italy CASTIGLIONE (5 August 1796)

GPS coordinates of the Q.G. of Napoléon Bonaparte: 45.39182 N, 10.49038 E (External link, opens in a new window)

  1. Castiglione delle Stiviere: the battlefield at the foot of the village  
  2. Castiglione delle Stiviere: Napoléon Bonaparte's headquarters, Piazza Colonna     [today Piazza Ugo Dallò] on August 4 and 5.
© 2012-2015 Didier Grau

France CHAMPAUBERT (10 February 1814)

GPS coordinates of the Maison Bleue or Maison au boulet: 48.88093 N, 3.77617 E (External link, opens in a new window)

  1. The Andrecy or Andecy farm  
  2. Bannay: the hamlet  
  3. Baye: the castle  
  4. The Baye forest    
  5. La Caure  , north of Champaubert
  6. Les Converts  
  7. Champaubert: the village  
  8. Champaubert: the Blue House or Cannonball House, Napoléon's headquarters in the evening of the battle  
  9. Champaubert: memorial column  
  10. Champaubert: the battlefield between Champaubert and Baye at its south   and between Champaubert and Etoges at its east  
  11. Fromentières  
  12. The Grande Laye woods  
  13. The Grange de Vaux farm  
  14. The Hannoterie farm  
  15. The Malet woods  
  16. Montpertuis: the hamlet  
  17. The Petit-Morin creek   and the bridge over it  
  18. The Potence woods  
  19. The swamps of St-Gond    , around the Petit-Morin
  20. St-Prix  
© 2013-2014 Didier Grau

France CHATEAU-THIERRY (12 February 1814)

GPS coordinates of the bridge over the Fausse-Marne: 49.04085 N, 3.40448 E

  1. Les Caquerets: the hamlet  , the memorial monument at Napoleon Square   and the battlefield  
  2. Château-Thierry: the town  
  3. Château-Thierry: the river Marne   and the bridge   over it, linking the suburb to the city proper
  4. Château-Thierry: the Fausse-Marne   and the bridge   over it
  5. Château-Thierry: the former Hôtel de la Poste  , Napoleon's headquarters the days following the battle
  6. The Dolloir river   and a bridge over it  
  7. Essises: general view of the village and of the battlefield  
  8. Les Grandes Noues  , south of Nesles-le-Château
  9. The Lumeron farm     that hosted the Emperor in the evening of the battle
  10. Mont-Cel-Enger: the hamlet  
  11. Montfaucon  
  12. The Nesles Heights: the battlefield  
  13. Nesles: the village     
  14. Nesles: memorial monument   where stood the castle [which no longer exists], Napoleon's headquarters
  15. Nogentel: battlefield on the heights of the village  
  16. Norvins: the hamlet  
  17. The Petit-Ballois farm    
  18. The Petites-Noues  
  19. The Trinité farm  
  20. Viffort: the village    , the church   and the Dolloir creek  
  21. Southwest Viffort: the bridge over the Dolloir (Route D1)   and the memorial monument to the troops of Marshal Mortier  
© 2013 Didier Grau unless otherwise stated

France CRAONNE (7 March 1814)

GPS coordinates of the tertre of Vauclair: 49.44001 N, 3.76455 E (External link, opens in a new window)

  1. Ailles: the village   and the battlefield around  
  2. The Ange Gardien, western end of the Chemin des Dames  
  3. The Buisson-Coquin hillock   and view from that place   (© 2013 Floriane Grau)
  4. Corbeny  , Imperial headquarters in the evening of March 6
  5. The plateau of Craonne    
  6. Craonne: the battlefield   between Vauclair and Hurtebise
  7. The Chemin des Dames (literally, the "Ladies' path")  
  8. The Heurtebise [Hurtebise] farm     and the sunken field  
  9. Heurtebise: monument erected after Word War I   in memory of the "Marie-Louise" (youngest French soldiers in 1814) and the "Poilus" (French soldiers in WW I)
  10. The river Lette [today Ailette]  
  11. Oulches: the village       and the battlefield  
  12. Paissy: the church and the cemetery  
  13. Vassogne: the village  
  14. The Vauclerc [Vauclair] abbey  
  15. The Vauclerc [Vauclair] forest  
  16. The heights of Vauclerc [Vauclair]  
  17. Vauclerc [Vauclair]: mound   topped by a statue of Napoleon  , erected at the place of a former mill from where the Emperor viewed the fights
© 2015 Didier Grau unless otherwise stated

Germany ECKMÜHL (22 April 1809)

GPS coordinates of the memorial monument at Eggmühl: 48.83774 N, 12.18351 E (External link, opens in a new window)

  1. Alteglofsheim: the castle      , where Napoleon spent some hours the night after the battle.
  2. Bad Abbach: general view  
  3. Buchhausen: the village   and its surroundings  
  4. Eggmühl: the church  , the castle   and the inn facing it  
  5. Eggmühl: the Memorial  , a wide walkway leading to a mound   where a Bavarian lion statue      pays tribute to the valiant combatants on both sides
  6. Gailsbach: the village  
  7. The Grosse Laber or Grosse Laaber river    , that meanders through the battlefield  
  8. Hagelstadt: the church  
  9. Köfering: the village  
  10. The church of Lindach    , which served as an observatory to the Emperor, and view of the battlefield from that location  
  11. Luckenpaint: the village   and the battlefield  
  12. Niederleierndorf: the village  
  13. Peising: the village     and its church  
  14. The church of Pfakoffen     and the battlefield close to the village  
  15. Roking [Rogging]: general view of the village  , the heights  , and the battlefield  
  16. Schierling: the main street  
  17. Stanglmühle: the hamlet   and the supposed place where Marshal Lannes crossed the Gross Laaber  
  18. Unterdeggenbach: the grave of General Cervoni  , killed during the battle
  19. Unterlaichling: the village     and the fields between Unterlaichling and Oberlaichling          , where bloody fighting took place
  20. Weilhohe: the village   and its surroundings  
  21. Zaitzkofen: the village   and its castle  
© 2015 Didier Grau

Germany ELCHINGEN (14 October 1805)

GPS coordinates of the abbaye of Elchingen: 48.45246 N, 10.08719 E (External link, opens in a new window)

  1. Albeck: the village  , a pond   and the battlefield  
  2. Elchingen: the abbey    , the plateau   where the abbey stands, and the battlefield   near the plateau
  3. Elchingen: the current bridge over the river Danube  , the river upstream   and downstream   of the bridge, and the outlet of the bridge   at the left bank
  4. Elchingen: general view from the sunken meadow  , and several views of the meadow, where fierce fighting took place      
  5. Göttingen: the village    
  6. Haslach: view of Oberhaslach   and the woods   facing it ; view of Unterhaslach   and the surrounding woods    
  7. The ravine of Kesselbronn  
  8. Langenau: the town    
  9. Nerenstetten: the village  
  10. Oberfahlheim [City of Nersingen] : the rectory  , where Napoleon stayed before the battle
  11. Offenhausen [nowadays at Neu-Ulm] : Das Schlössle    , Napoleon's headquarters during the battle
  12. The Roth river  , tributary of the Danube
© 2014 Didier Grau unless otherwise stated

Austria ASPERN-ESSLING (21 and 22 May 1809)

GPS coordinates of the Granary of Essling: 48.21597 N, 16.52416 E (External link, opens in a new window)

  1. Aspern: the church    
  2. Aspern: the cemetery   and the Sebastian chapel  
  3. Aspern: the Lion, sculpture honoring the Austrian fighters  
  4. Aspern: obelisk in memory of the Austrian soldiers  
  5. Bisamberg  
  6. Breitenlee  , where Archduke Charles established his headquarters
  7. Battlefield, north of the Lobau  
  8. The river Danube       (© 2014 Michèle Grau-Ghelardi)
  9. Essling: the church   and the castle  , on both sides of main street
  10. Essling: the Granary     where the French have valiantly withstood the Austrian assaults
  11. Gross-Enzersdorf: the village  , the church   and the battlefield between Essling and Gross-Enzersdorf  
  12. Kagran: inn havin hosted Napoléon  
  13. The Lobau Island: landscapes                      
  14. The Lobau Island: memorial stones : Napoleon's headquarters  , powder reserve  , French bridgehead  , French cemetery  
  15. The plain of Marchfeld    
  16. Markgrafneusiedl: Archduke Charles' headquarters  
  17. Süssenbrunn  
© 2015 Didier Grau unless otherwise stated

Russia EYLAU (8 February 1807)

GPS coordinates of the memorial monument (The Estocq Denkmal): 54.37937 N, 20.65156 E (External link, opens in a new window)

  1. Althof [Orechowo]: the hamlet    
  2. Althof [Orechowo]: the battlefield  , the brook   and the woods  
  3. Auklappen [Maloje Osjornoje]: headquarters of Levin August von Bennigsen    , the hamlet   and the battlefield  
  4. Klein-Sausgarten [Bolschoje-Osjornoje]: memorial cross in memory of the fallen Russian soldiers  
  5. Kutschitten [Znamenskoje]: views of the battlefield      
  6. Lampasch [Nadeschdino]: the entrance to the hamlet   and the battlefield  
  7. Place where stood Melohnkeim [Borowoje, a village that no longer exists]    
  8. Preussisch-Eylau [Bagrationovsk]: general view from the ponds   ; the former local court, Napoleon's headquarters from February 7 to 17    ; a typical prussian house    , hosting today a little museum dedicated to the battle
  9. Preussisch-Eylau [Bagrationovsk]: the castle   , taken on February 7 by the Leval division, and what remains today of the church: the arch of its portal, integrated into an awful factory during the communist era  
  10. Preussisch-Eylau [Bagrationovsk]: the mound where the French 14th Line Regiment was destroyed   (© 2015 Marie-Albe Grau)
  11. Preussisch-Eylau [Bagrationovsk]: the ponds surrounding the city      
  12. Preussisch-Eylau [Bagrationovsk]: the L'Estocq-Denkmal    , memorial monument erected in 1857 by the Prussians in the forest   southeast of the town, where the french batteries stood; three of its faces honoring Generals Bennigsen  , L'Estocq   and Dierike  
  13. Preussisch-Eylau [Bagrationovsk]: monument to General Bagration      , who gave its name to the town when it was renamed by the Russians, and tablet nearby  
  14. Preussisch-Eylau [Bagrationovsk]: in the current cemetery, a stone honoring French and Russian soldiers fallen during the battle of Eylau and the 1812 campaign       (© 2015 Michèle Grau-Ghelardi)
  15. Schmoditten [Ryabinovka]: the village    
  16. The heights of Serpallen [Kaschtanowka, a village that no longer exists, at a few hundred meters from the Polish border]   (© 2015 Michèle Grau-Ghelardi)
  17. Place where stood Tenknitten   [this village no longer exists]
  18. Ziegelhof  , a plateau southwest of Eylau [on the current Russo-Polish border], where Napoleon bivouacked on 8 and 9 February
  19. Places traversed by the Russians after the battle, during their retreat towards Koenigsberg [Kaliningrad], from south to north:

  20. Mulhausen [Gwardeiskoje]  
  21. The Frisching [Prochladnaja] river   at Groß Lauth [Newskoje], halfway between Eylau and Königsberg
  22. Wittemberg [Niwenskoje]: the road  
© 2013 Didier Grau

Italy LA FAVORITA (16 January 1797)

GPS coordinates of the villa: 45.18476 N, 10.8015 E (External link, opens in a new window)

  1. La Favorita: the battlefield  
  2. La Favorita: the villa  
  3. Mantua, seen from the San Giorgio bridge over the Mincio river  
© 2013 Didier Grau

France FÈRE-CHAMPENOISE (25 March 1814)

GPS coordinates of downtown Fère-Champenoise: 48.75495 N, 3.99060 E (External link, opens in a new window)

  1. Allemant  
  2. Aulnay  
  3. Bannes  
  4. Bergères-les-Vertus  
  5. Bierges  
  6. Blacy  
  7. Bussy-Lettrée  
  8. Chaintrix-Bierges  
  9. Chapelaine  
  10. Clamanges  
  11. Connantre: St-Caprais church  
  12. Coole  
  13. Courdemanges  
  14. Dommartin-Lettrée  
  15. Ecury-le-Repos  
  16. Fère-Champenoise: downtown  
  17. Lenharrée  
  18. Lettrée  
  19. Linthes  
  20. Mailly  
  21. Maisons  
  22. Montepreux  
  23. Morains  
  24. Normée  
  25. Notre-Dame  
  26. Semoine  
  27. Sommesous: the village   and the surrounding fields  
  28. The creek La Soude  
  29. Soudé-Sainte-Croix  
  30. Trécon  
  31. Vassimont  
  32. Vatry  
  33. Villeseneux  
© 2015 Didier Grau unless otherwise stated

Russia FRIEDLAND (14 June 1807)

GPS coordinates of the church of Friedland: 54.44703 N, 21.01681 E (External link, opens in a new window)

  1. The Domerauer woods  
  2. Domnau [Domnovo]: the village   and the monument in memory of the Russian soldiers  
  3. Friedland [Pravdinsk]: St-George church      
  4. Friedland [Pravdinsk]: houses of the Prussian era  
  5. Friedland [Pravdinsk]: headquarters of General Levin August von Bennigsen   and those of Napoleon after the battle (under renovation during our visit), seen from the outside   and from the inside  
  6. Friedland [Pravdinsk]: statue of Marshal Kutuzov       in the eponymous street (although he has not participated in the campaign in Poland)
  7. Friedland [Pravdinsk]: memorial stele to the Russian soldiers   and, in the municipal park [Gorodskoï Park], monument to General Mazowski     who died during the battle
  8. Friedland [Pravdinsk]: the ponds, north of the city     fed by the Mill creek [Pravda]
  9. Friedland [Pravdinsk]: the river Alle [Lava] upstream   and downstream   of the current bridge  
  10. Friedland [Pravdinsk]: The battlefield seen from Heinrichsdorf [Rovnoje], northwest of Friedland   and from the north  
  11. The ford of Kloschenen [Lukino]       that allowed some of the Russian troops to escape the stranglehold of French, crossing the river Alle, and, nearby, the path to the brickyard (Ziegelei)  , where fierce fighting stood
  12. Postehnen [Peredovoje]: the battlefield     and the Mill creek [Pravda]  
  13. The Sortlack forest  , seen from Heinrichsdorf [Rovnoje]
  14. After the battle:

  15. Gross-Ottenhagen [Berezowka], through which the Russians retreated: the remains of the church   (© 2015 Michèle Grau-Ghelardi) and the ponds northeast      
  16. Paterswalde [Bolschaja Poljana]   where Napoleon installed his HQ on June 16
© 2015 Didier Grau unless otherwise stated

Poland GOLYMIN (26 December 1806)

GPS coordinates of the church of Golymin: 52.80824 N, 20.87177 E (External link, opens in a new window)

  1. Garnowo: the hamlet   and the battlefield    
  2. Golymin: the memorial monument   and its text in french  
  3. Wadkowo: the hamlet   and the battlefield  
© 2015 Didier Grau unless otherwise stated

Germany HOHENLINDEN (3 December 1800)

GPS coordinates of the church of Hohenlinden: 48.15675 N, 11.99831 E (External link, opens in a new window)

  1. Albaching: general view  
  2. Anzing: the church   and the inn   having hosted General Moreau
  3. Bittlbach: general view of the village  , its church   and the battlefield  
  4. Buch-am-Buchrain: the village   in a snowstorm
  5. Burgrain: the village and its surroundings  
  6. Ebersberg: general view  
  7. Erding: the Schöner Turm   and downtown area  
  8. Forstern: the village  
  9. Harthofen: the village  
  10. Hörlkofen: the church    
  11. Hohenlinden: the village       and the inn which served as headquarters for General Jean-Victor-Marie Moreau  
  12. Hohenlinden: the memorial monument of the battle      
  13. Surroundings of Hohenlinden: the battlefield             and woods around        
  14. The river Inn  , tributary of the Danube
  15. Isen: downtown  
  16. Kreith: the hamlet and the fields around  
  17. Kreuz: the village and the battlefield  
  18. Kronacker: Sankt-Johannes church     (© 2015 Marie-Albe Grau and Floriane Grau)
  19. Lengdorf: the village   and the river Isen     qui the traverse
  20. Loipfing: the village  
  21. Maitenbeth: the village   and the road to Haag  , running through it
  22. Mittbach: the village  
  23. Mitterbuch: the village   and the battlefield  
  24. Neuharting: the hamlet   and a field  
  25. Neustockach: general view of the hamlet and its surroundings    
  26. Niesberg: the battlefield and the village  
  27. Oberndorf: the village  
  28. Parsdorf: the village   and the battlefield  
  29. Reithofen: the church   and the inn  
  30. St-Christopher [Sankt-Christoph]  
  31. Schnaupping: the village  
  32. Schützen: thz hamlet  
  33. The heights of Tading  
  34. Weiher: the village  
  35. Wetting  , near Forstern
© 2014 Didier Grau

Austria HOLLABRUNN (16 November 1805)

GPS coordinates of the farm Nexenhof: 48.61694 N, 16.07225 E (External link, opens in a new window)

  1. Grund: the village   and the battlefield  
  2. Guntersdorf: the village  
  3. Hollabrunn: downtown  
  4. The Nexenhof farm    
  5. Schöngrabern: the village  , the battlefield around   and the road   to Znaïm
  6. Suttenbrunn  
© 2013 Didier Grau unless otherwise stated

France LAON (9 and 10 March 1814)

GPS coordinates of the farm of the Mouillée at Athies-sous-Laon: 49.56879 N, 3.71465 E (External link, opens in a new window)

  1. Ardon: the village   at the foot of Laon, and its church  
  2. Athies: the main street  
  3. Athies: the mound called "Butte aux Vignes"  
  4. Athies: La Mouillée farm   and the battlefield  
  5. Athies: plain   between the village and the forest of Lavergny  
  6. Bruyères  
  7. Chavignon : the town    , a field nearby   and the place where was located the Hôtel St-Pierre  , where Napoléon established his HQ in the evening of March 9
  8. Clacy: the village       and the church  
  9. Eppes: the castle of Coucy  , where Marmont settled his HQ on March 9 in the evening
  10. Festieux  
  11. The plateau of Laon  
  12. Laon: the fortifications   and St-Martin church  
  13. Laon: tablet   honoring the combatants (© 2011 Cyril Maillet)
  14. Leuilly: the church  
  15. Sémilly: the main street  
© 2015 Didier Grau

Belgium LIGNY (16 June 1815)

Many thanks to Mr Dominique Timmermans (visit his website Association pour the Conservation of the Monuments Napoléoniens), who made us discover this battlefield.

GPS coordinates of the En-Haut farm: 50.51155 N, 4.57583 E (External link, opens in a new window)

  1. Brye: the village  , the Moulin-de-Bussy farm   and the place where the mill was   [dismantled in the nineteenth century and transferred to Limburg] where Blücher and Wellington devised their strategy at midday
  2. Fleurus: the Château de la Paix (Castle of the Peace)    , Napoléon's headquarters in the evening following the battle, and the Emperor's bedroom   where he spent the night of 16 to 17; the Ferme de la Paix (Farm of the Peace)  , that adjoins the castle,where were stationed the mounted Chasseurs of the Guard
  3. Fleurus: St. Victor church  , used as a hospital after the fights
  4. Fleurus: the Naveau mill   which served as an observatory to Napoleon, and the monument   that adjoins it, which commemorates the victories the French vistories of 1690, 1794 and 1815
  5. Fleurus: the Zualart castle  , Marshal Soult's headquarters
  6. Ligny: the village seen from Prussian batteries   and panorama of the battlefield from General Gérard's corps        
  7. Ligny: the En-Haut farm   defended by the Prussians, the rectory that was used as ambulance   and, between both, the Ruelle du Curé (the Pastor's back street)   through which the French arrived
  8. Ligny: the En-Bas farm    , the last bastion of Prussian resistance, and the street that runs along it   [currently: Generals Gérard and Vandamme Street], through which the Prussians retreated
  9. Ligny: location where the former Count of Looz' feodal castle was   [already half in ruins in 1815, disappeared in 1844]
  10. Ligny: memorial monument to the Emperor's "grognards" (literally "grumblers")   and fortress cannon   commemorating the bicentenary of Napoleon's birth
  11. The Carrefour du Point-du-Jour (The Dawn crossroads)  , northeast of the battlefield, where the Prussians, in their retirement, have veered towards Gembloux
  12. St-Amand: the village and the battlefield    
  13. St-Amand: the village seen from the Prussian batteries   and from the Brye mill   ; the church  
  14. St-Amand: the hamlet of La Haye   and the battlefield  
  15. St-Amand: La Haye farm    , where General Jean-Baptiste Girard was mortally wounded, and the memorial tablet  
  16. St-Amand: location called "Le Hameau"   and the creek "La Ligne"  
  17. Sombreffe: the castle    , HQ of the Prussian IInd Corps prussien under General Georg Dubislav Ludwig von Pirch
  18. Sombreffe: the current church   erected in 1858 in the same place as that having experienced the fights
  19. Sombreffe: the rectory   and its little peaceful interior: cannonball, a witness of fights   and door   having suffered the wrath of Blücher and his sword!
  20. The place called "Trois-Burettes"  , northeast of the battlefield, and the eponymous crossroads   where the former Roman way crosses the Namur road
  21. Wagnelée: the village seen from the Brye mill  
© 2012-2015 Didier Grau

Italy LODI (10 May 1796)

GPS coordinates of the bridge of Lodi upon the Adda river: 45.31914 N, 9.50861 E (External link, opens in a new window)

  1. Pizzighettone  , where General Bonaparte at first thought to cross the river Adda, and the surroundings   of Zorlesco  , where the first clashes took place
  2. Lodi: the current bridge   over the river Adda, named in 2003 "Bridge Napoleone Bonaparte", built at about 50 meters downstream of the historic bridge (destroyed in 1859)
  3. Lodi: the outlet of the current bridge on the left bank  , which was held by the Austrians
  4. Lodi: the river Adda, downstream   and upstream   of the bridge, and further upstream   towards the ford where Beaumont crossed the river
  5. Lodi: the current Piazza della Vittoria   (Piazza Maggiore in 1796) and the Palazzo Modignani   where Napoleon Bonaparte settled his headquarters
  6. After the battle :

  7. Fontana   and Tormo  , that the Austrians passed through, during their retreat towards Crema    
  8. The surroundings     of Crespiatica  , where the French made their cavalry rest after the battle.
© 2012-2013 Didier Grau

Italy MARENGO (14 June 1800)

GPS coordinates of the memorial column at Marengo: 44.89403 N, 8.67060 E (External link, opens in a new window)

  1. Alessandria: views of the citadel  
  2. The Bormida plain   and the battlefield   around Marengo
  3. The river Bormida  
  4. Cascina Grossa: the battlefield and the village  
  5. Castelceriolo: the battlefield and the village  
  6. Castelceriolo: the bell tower and roofs of the town  
  7. Frugarolo: the church  
  8. San-Giuliano Vecchio: the village    
  9. Spinetta Marengo: the church   and the Teodolinda tower  
  10. Spinetta Marengo: memorial column   topped by a bronze eagle   erected in 1801 then reinstalled in 1918
  11. Spinetta Marengo: length statue of the First Consul   in front of the Villa Delavo  , by sculptor Benito Cacciatori, inaugurated in 1847
  12. Torre Garofoli: farm   where General Bonaparte settled his headquarters, and the adjacent church  
© 2012 Didier Grau unless otherwise stated

Italy MONDOVI (21 April 1796)

GPS coordinates of the Strada Sta Maria, Plateau of Bricchetto at Vicoforte: 44.39146 N, 7.84941 E (External link, opens in a new window)

  1. Lesegno: the castle    , Napoleon Bonaparte's headquarters from April 20 to 23
  2. Mondovi: the village   and the battlefield   viewed from the plateau of Bricchetto at Vicoforte
  3. San Michele Mondovì: Bicocca redoubt overlooking the village  
  4. Vicoforte: Cascina del Vescovo   (© 2012 Michèle Grau-Ghelardi)
© 2012 Didier Grau

Italy MONTEBELLO (9 June 1800)

GPS coordinates of the via Luigi Norfalini, in the plain below the village: 45.00393 N, 9.10999 E (External link, opens in a new window)

  1. Montebello della Battaglia: the village    
  2. Montebello della Battaglia: the battlefield   in the plain, and seen from the village  
© 2012 and 2014 Didier Grau

Italy MONTENOTTE, MILLESIMO, COSSERIA and DEGO (12 to 15 April 1796)

GPS coordinates of Montenotte Superiore: 44.38796 N, 8.40034 E (External link, opens in a new window)

  1. Cairo Montenotte      
  2. Carcare: overall views    
  3. Carcare: the bridge over the river Bormida di Pallare   and the Casa Ferrero  , Napoléon Bonaparte's headquarters during the operations of Millesimo, Dego and Cosseria
  4. Cosseria: the hill   topped by the castle  , the ruins of the castle   and view from the later  
  5. Dego: view of Cua      , a hamlet overlooking the river Bormida di Spigno (location of the ancient castle, where fights were held)
  6. Millesimo: overall view   and Palazzo del Commune    , Bonaparte's HQ in the evening of April 13, after the battle
  7. Montenotte Inferiore [Ferriera]  
  8. Montenotte Superiore: the battlefield      , which is heavily wooded and hilly
  9. Montenotte Superiore: the Bric Menau  , in front of the Il Parazzin farm, and views from that location    
  10. Montenotte Superiore: the Monte San Giorgio and the Monte Pra    
  11. Montenotte Superiore: the Monte Negino  , whose redoubt was heroically defended by colonel Rampon and his men, and views from that location    
  12. Montenotte Superiore: the village   and the memorial monument  
  13. Montenotte Superiore: the hamlet called Naso di Gatto  
© 2012-2013 Didier Grau unless otherwise stated

France MONTEREAU (18 February 1814) and preliminaries fights of Mormant and Villeneuve-le-Comte

GPS coordinates of the memorial tablet at Surville: 48.39121 N, 2.96057 E (External link, opens in a new window)

  1. The Ancoeur farm   (combat of Mormant)
  2. Forges  
  3. Grandpuits   and its surroundings   (combat of Mormant)
  4. Montereau: bridges over the river Seine   and the river Yonne  
  5. Montereau: St-Martin priory  
  6. Montereau: plateau of Surville  
  7. Montereau: general view of the city and the confluent, from the heights of Surville   and the tablet   (2 pics © 2013 Michèle Grau-Ghelardi) commemorating the bravery of the Emperor
  8. Montereau: equestrian statue of Napoleon    , by Charles Pierre Victor Pajol, located near the confluent
  9. Montereau: statue of General Henri Gatien Bertrand   erected in 2007
  10. Mormant: downtown   and the road to Nangis  
  11. Orvilliers  
  12. The Les Pleux farm   (combat of Mormant)
  13. Salins  , where Marshal Victor made an untimely halt according to Napoleon
  14. Valjouan   (combat of Mormant)
  15. Villeneuve-le-Comte [nowadays Villeneuve-les-Bordes]  
© 2012-2014 Didier Grau

France MONTMIRAIL-MARCHAIS (11 February 1814)

GPS coordinates of the Greneaux farm at Marchais-en-Brie: 48.89562 N, 3.48089 E (External link, opens in a new window)

  1. The Bailly woods  , where fierce fighting were held
  2. La Chaise farm  
  3. Les Chouteaux farm  
  4. The Courmont woods   where several Russian squares were routed
  5. Fontenelle-en-Brie, north of the battlefield: the church  
  6. The Grange-en-chart farm  
  7. The Greneaux farm  , where Napoléon slept after the battle
  8. The Haute-Epine: in this hamlet     Napoléon settled his headquarters in the evening following the battle
  9. Marchais-en-Brie: the village    , that was at the heart of the fighting
  10. Marchais-en-Brie: the church    
  11. Marchais-en-Brie: the Cour d'Airain farm    ,at the heart of the battle, and its tablet    
  12. Marchais-en-Brie: the battlefield  
  13. La Meulière  
  14. Between Montcoupot and Le Tremblay, by the side of the road to Paris: memorial column     erected in 1866 at the location where Napoleon stood during the battle
  15. Montmirail: general view   and the castle   where the Emperor took his breakfast in the morning before the battle
  16. The Plénois farm  , at the right wing of the French positions
  17. The Prelle farm  , between Fontenelle and the road to Paris
  18. Le Tremblay: view from the hamlet  , where the confrontation was particularly violent, and memorial column to the Imperial army  
© 2012 Eva-Elise Grau, with our gratitude

Israel MOUNT TABOR (16 April 1799)

  1. The Mount Tabor  
© 2015 Didier Grau unless otherwise stated

Poland PUŁTUSK (26 December 1806)

GPS coordinates of the Market Place in Pułtusk: 52.70479 N, 21.09304 E (External link, opens in a new window)

  1. Mosin: the battlefield   and a forest, north of the hamlet   [the forest southeast of the later, where fierce fighting were held, no longer exists]
  2. Pułtusk: the house   where Napoléon settled his HQ in the evening following the battle, at Market Place [Rynek] 29. The City Hall, at the other end of the place  
  3. Pułtusk: the river Narew   and an arm of the river crossing the city  
  4. Pułtusk: the roads to Golymin  , to Makow (proximal portion, which is no longer used  , and its junction with the current road  ), to Nasielsk   and to Rozan  
© Yves Maillet, with our thanks

Egypt PYRAMIDS (21 July 1798)

GPS coordinates of the Pyramids of Giza : a good Napoleonic tourist, on site, must be able of finding these pyramids without the help of their coordinates!

  1. Giza: the pyramids    
  2. Giza: the Sphinx    
© 2015 Didier Grau

Belgium QUATRE-BRAS (16 June 1815)

Many thanks to Mr Dominique Timmermans (visit his website Association pour the Conservation of the Monuments Napoléoniens), who made us discover this battlefield.

GPS coordinates of the carrefour of the Quatre-Bras: 50.57142 N, 4.45326 E (External link, opens in a new window)

  1. Frasnes and the southside of the battlefield  
  2. The Gémioncourt farm      , which saw heavy fighting
  3. The Grand-Pierrepont [Pierpont] farm    , a bastion held by the Orange-Nassau regiment
  4. The Monument to the Belgians  , and the battlefield seen from that location  
  5. The Monument to the British and Hanovrian troops  
  6. The Monument to the Dutch cavalry    
  7. The Monument to Frederick William, Duke of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel  , erected by the Brunswick State for the 75th anniversary, near the place where he was killed during the battle, and the bronze lion at its top  
  8. The Petit-Pierrepont farm  , that the French succeeded in taking, and the battlefield seen from that place  
  9. The Quatre-Bras farm  , the only building from the Napoleonic period still present today at the eponymous crossroads, which was held by the Allies.
© 2012-2013 Didier Grau unless otherwise stated

France REIMS (13 March 1814)

GPS coordinates of the Parc de la Cure d'Air at Tinqueux: 49.24675 N, 4.00848 E (External link, opens in a new window)

  1. Mont-Saint-Pierre    , on the heights of Tinqueux, and its memorial obelisk   (3 pics © 2013 Floriane Grau)
  2. Reims: the City Hall   and the Cathedral   (© 2013 Floriane Grau)
  3. The Sainte-Geneviève hill   [today Parc de la Cure d'air], from where the Emperor directed the fights and where he bivouacked the evening following the battle. The tablet honoring, there, the fallen "Marie-Louises" (youngest French soldiers)   is unfortunately in a pitiful state, unworthy of the honor due to them.
  4. The river Vesle  , between Fismes and Reims.
© 2012-2013 Didier Grau

Italy RIVOLI (14 and 15 January 1797)

GPS coordinates of the memorial monument: 45.58098 N, 10.82115 E (External link, opens in a new window)

  1. Rivoli Veronese: the village    
  2. Rivoli Veronese: the battlefield           between the village and the Monte Baldo
  3. Rivoli Veronese: the memorial monument   erected in 1807 and rebuilt in 1917-1918  
© 2012-2013 Didier Grau

France LA ROTHIÈRE (1st February 1814)

GPS coordinates of the memorial monument: 48.34592 N, 4.55702 E (External link, opens in a new window)

  1. The Ajou woods   near Chaumesnil
  2. The river Aube  
  3. The forest of Beaulieu   at Petit-Mesnil
  4. The Beauvoir farm   near whom Marshal Marmont clashed with the Austrians
  5. Location of the former Beugné farm [which no longer exists]  
  6. Bossancourt   where Blücher's reserve was stationed
  7. Brienne-la-Vieille   where Marshal Oudinot settled his troops before the battle
  8. La Chaise  
  9. Chauménil [Chaumesnil]  
  10. Dienville: the downtown   and the bridge over the river Aube  
  11. Eclance  , at the right wing of the Allied positions
  12. La Gibrie [La Giberie]: the hamlet  
  13. Juvenzé [Juvanzé]  
  14. Lesmont: the wooden hall  
  15. Morvilliers: the village   and its surroundings  
  16. Petit-Ménil [Petit-Mesnil]: the church and the cemetery  
  17. La Rothière: the church   and the memorial monument    
  18. La Rothière: the battlefield    
  19. Rosnay-l'Hôpital   where Marshal Marmont had to withdraw behind the river Voire  
  20. Woods and ponds around the road to Soulaines    
  21. Trannes  , at the left wing of Blücher's positions
  22. Unienville: the church   and the bridge  
© 2015 Didier Grau

Germany ULM (17 October 1805)

GPS coordinates of the Cathedral (Münster) of Ulm: 48.39851 N, 9.99149 E (External link, opens in a new window)

  1. Pfaffenhofen: the Aussere inn   where Napoléon stayed
  2. Ulm: general view of the old town     and the Cathedral (Münster)  
  3. Ulm: the Michaelsberg   and the Frauenberg    , overlooking the city at the north side
© 2012-2013 Didier Grau

France VAUCHAMPS (14 February 1814)

GPS coordinates of the memorial column: 48.88122 N, 3.61538 E (External link, opens in a new window)

  1. The forest of Beaumont  , southwest of Vauchamps
  2. L'Échelle woods  
  3. Fromentières  , through which the Prussiens retreated towards Champaubert
  4. Janvilliers  , where several Prussian squares were taken while retreating
  5. Serrechamp [Sarrechamps]  
  6. Vauchamps: the village   and the memorial column  
  7. Vauchamps: the battlefield  
© 2013 Didier Grau unless otherwise stated

Spain VITORIA (21 June 1813)

GPS coordinates of the Plaza de la Virgen Blanca in downtown Vitoria: 42.84653 N, 2.67331 W (External link, opens in a new window)

  1. Abechuco [Abetxuko]  , conquered in the early afternoon by General Graham
  2. Aranguis  , on the road to Bilbao, which was held by General Reille
  3. Arbulo  , on the road to Pamplona, which saw the French disordered retreat
  4. Ariñiz  , 8 kilometers west of Vitoria, and the surrounding hills  
  5. Armentia  , where were stationed two French divisions
  6. Arriaga: the church  
  7. Betono  , where the French Army of Portugal stopped the enemy's left wing for a while
  8. Durana: the village  
  9. Gamarra Mayor  , conquered towards 1 PM by General Graham
  10. Gamarra Menor: the hamlet   and its church  
  11. Gomercha [Gometxa]   and its surroundings  , left wing of General Drouet d'Erlon's corps
  12. Jundiz  
  13. Margarita  , right wing of General Drouet's corps
  14. The surroundings of Mendiguren    
  15. Puebla  , outpost of the French army
  16. Subijana de Alava  , conquered by General Hill towards 8 AM
  17. Villodas: the village   and its bridge  , right end of the French positions
  18. Vitoria-Gasteiz: Plaza de la Virgen Blanca  , and its memorial monument   (2 pics © 2013 Michèle Grau-Ghelardi) celebrating the victory of General Wellington's troops
  19. The river Zadorra  
  20. Zuazo: the village  
© 2014 Didier Grau unless otherwise stated

Austria WAGRAM (5 and 6 July 1809)

GPS coordinates of Archduke Charles' headquarters: 48.29568 N, 16.55793 E (External link, opens in a new window)

  1. Aderklaa: the village    , where fierce street fights happened
  2. Aderklaa: the battlefield around      
  3. Aderklaa: chapel     in memory of fallen soldiers, and column   which celebrates the Saxons under General Bernadotte
  4. Baumersdorf [nowadays Parbarsdorf]  , where General Oudinot failed on July 5 in front of General Hardegg's héroic resistance
  5. Bockfliess: the village  
  6. The river Danube       (© 2014 Michèle Grau-Ghelardi)
  7. Gerasdorf: the village   and the heights   overlooking it, west end of the battlefield
  8. Glinzendorf: the village  , at the right wing of French positions, was held by Marshal Davout
  9. Groshofen  , right wing of French positions on July 6
  10. Gross Engersdorf  , north of Wagram, served as an ammunition park for the Austrians
  11. Gross Enzersdorf  , left wing of French positions on July 6
  12. The Marchfeld plain    
  13. Markgrafneusiedl: the tower   (© 2014 Michèle Grau-Ghelardi), overlooking the village
  14. Pillichsdorf: the village  , north of Wagram, and the mound   upon whom Emperor Francis I. attended the battle
  15. Raschdorf [Raasdorf]: Napoleon's headquarters   during the battle
  16. The Russbach creek      
  17. Süssenbrunn  , that General Oudinot attacked on July 6, at the head of a huge square of 8,000 men
  18. Ulrichskirchen: the castle  , which served as a campaign hospital
  19. The plateau of Wagram  , taken by Davout and Macdonald on July 6
  20. Wagram [Deutsch-Wagram]: the church   and the memorial monument  
  21. Wagram [Deutsch-Wagram]: the headquarters of Archduke Charles  
  22. Wolkersdorf: the castle   where stayed Emperor Francis before the battle
© 2013-2015 Didier Grau

Belgium WATERLOO (18 June 1815)

GPS coordinates of La Haye Sainte farm: 50.67804 N, 4.41196 E (External link, opens in a new window)

  1. The Belle Alliance farm  , where Wellington and Blücher met after the battle
  2. Braine l'Alleud: Saint-Etienne church  , having served as a campaign hospital
  3. The Lion's Mound  , topped by a cast-iron lion looking towards France  , erected by the Dutch ten years after the battle
  4. The battlefield seen from the summit of the Lion's Mound        
  5. The Chantelet farm    , Marshal Ney's HQ during the night from 17 to 18
  6. The De Coster house  . De Coster was Napoleon's local guide, and his house hosted the Emperor during Marshal Ney's cavalry charges
  7. Genappe: the street   through which the French retreated in disorder, and the little bridge   over the river Dyle  , where Napoleon had to leave his berline
  8. Genappe: the church   and the grave of General Duhesme  
  9. La Haye-Sainte farm, seen from the road to Charleroi   and from the summit of the Lion's Mound  , and the field in front of it  
  10. Hougoumont farm : south side  , west side   and inner courtyard          
  11. Hougoumont farm : the English memorial monument  
  12. Mont-Saint-Jean farm  
  13. Memorial monuments: "The wounded Eagle"     in memory of the "Last Square" of the Imperial troops, the Monument to the Belgians    , the Monument to the Hanovrians  , and the Victor Hugo column  
  14. Papelotte farm    , east of the battlefield
  15. Plancenoit: the village   and the battlefield   north of it
  16. Plancenoit: crest   upon which Napoléon set up a great artillery battery
  17. Location of former Rossomme farm   [which no longer exists] and a mound   nearby, which served as an observation point to Napoleon on June 18 in the morning
  18. The Soignes forest, northeast of Waterloo  
  19. Vieux-Genappe: the Caillou farm  , Napoléon's headquarters the day before the battle, and bronze statue of the Emperor   erected in 2002 in the adjacent garden
  20. Walhain: Marette farm       where Marshal Grouchy, guest of the notary Höllert, heard the canonnade of the battle while savoring succulent Brabant strawberries  
  21. Waterloo: Wellington's headquarters  ; that city gave its name to the battle, although none fight occured there!
© 2015 Didier Grau

Belgium WAVRE (18 and 19 June 1815)

Many thanks to Mr Dominique Timmermans (visit his website Association pour the Conservation of the Monuments Napoléoniens), who made us discover this battlefield.

GPS coordinates of the Christ bridge in Wavre: 50.71476 N, 4.61057 E (External link, opens in a new window)

  1. Bawette castle  , north-northwest of Wavre, where stayed the Third Prussian Corps under Johann Adolf von Thielmann before the battle, and where Marshal Grouchy settled himself, the time to learn the news of the defeat of Waterloo and to decide to retreat
  2. Bierges: the mill   and the monument to General Gérard  , who was wounded near that place
  3. La Bourse farm      , southwest of Bierges
  4. The river Dyle   in Bierges
  5. Wavre: the Rue du Commerce, leading to Saint-Jean-Baptiste church  , which still bears today stigmates of the fights, and the City Hall (Couvent des Carmes Chaussés until 1797)  
  6. Wavre: the Christ bridge  , having been subject to no less than thirteen assaults, the Christ whose side was perforated... by a projectile   and the memorial tablet   on the bridge
© 2014 Didier Grau

Czech Republic ZNAIM (10 and 11 July 1809)

GPS coordinates of Louka convent: 48.84056 N, 16.05792 E (External link, opens in a new window)

  1. Dobschitz  
  2. Oblekovice  
  3. The river Thaya  
  4. Znaim [Znojmo]: downtown   and the bridge over the river Thaya  
  5. Znaim [Znojmo]: the Louka convent  
  6. The plateau of Zuckerhandl [Suchohrdly]  
  7. Zuckerhandl [Suchohrdly]: the cemetery